Friday, January 12, 2007

...who asked you?!

I find it utterly amazing, and somewhat amusing, at how complete strangers feel the need to interject their great wisdom about child rearing. Without so much as a hello, strangers will say the most personal things. "Are you breastfeeding?" "That's the best thing, you know." "Make sure you do that as long as you can." -these comments came from different strangers at different times! I nod politely and wonder what in the hell makes them an expert on my baby and me. My mom suggested I impart some equally random wisdom. I think about it. "Make sure you're using cornstarch based baby powder. That other stuff is a carcinogen you know." "Are you exercising?" "You should be drinking half your weight, in ounces, of water a day..." Or how about something more personal? "You're leaking."

Even women who don't have children and who have never been in labor seem to be experts. "So, how was your labor?"
"It's true, you know, you forget how long and hard it is..."
"Oh, is that because you had an epidural?"
What?! Yes, my epidural caused me complete amnesia of the whole damn event. No, stupid, it's because you fall in love with your baby and you quickly realize you would do ANYTHING for your child.

I am immediately regretful if I have ever offended someone in this way. What is with us? What makes us think we're experts? What makes us think we can say whatever we want, to whomever we want? Let's just keep our mouths shut and just enjoy these beautiful little beings who are acutely aware of the love we give them.

1 comment:

Gramma Sarah said...

Well, if you ask me .... You are a fantastic momma and I love how much you adore angel Gabriel. He is precious and infintely huggable and you are an amazing woman and superb nuturer. Welcome to the club of unconditional, everlasting love called motherhood!